Saturday, October 10, 2009

Mess - Twin Style

We got new laminate floors in our living room this summer. I vacuum them 4 times a week and mom them twice a week to keep them looking pretty. The boys aren't allowed to eat or drink on the floors. If they put their cups down on the floors, I swoop in to pick them up or at least stand them up. Their father has never seen this redecorating. He's due home in little more than a week. I have been so careful with my beautiful new floors.

Today....the boys did the unthinkable.....they got into the basket of baby creams. Now, powder I could handle. You just vacuum that right up. Baby lotion would have been a little harder, but it could have been managed. What did they pick? Three tubes of diaper rash cream. In my panic, I grabbed a wet washcloth. PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: Diaper rash cream is designed to keep moisture OUT. Trying to wipe it up with a wet washcloth made the mess bigger. While I am trying to figure out how to keep the mess and the boys contained, they decided to "help." And by "help," I mean squeeze the water out of the washcloth all over the floor.

After losing my mind and yelling at my little explorers, I composed myself and did what any self respecting parent would do - I stripped them to their diapers and gated them into the playroom. Once they were happily playing with their toys and oblivious to the mess they had made, I finished cleaning.

So, I lost the title of Mom of the Year, but what else is new? I did learn, however, that saturated baby wipes do a GREAT job of cleaning diaper rash cream off of laminate floors.

No comments: